Friday 9 September 2016

Practice 2016


Practice Task


In order for me to get used to the camera, I was set a challenge that included different camera angles/shots for our group moving image trailer. Before this task, I had only used video on a camera for unprofessional use, not deliberately focusing on the positioning of the camera or the angles. Before using the video recorder, I was told the basics to help me participate in filming the practice task.

After learning how to use the video camera, I worked with a group to familiarize myself with different camera angles and types that I will need to know and replicate for filming. An example of a shot I was going to film was a shot-reverse-shot between two characters. Additionally, before we began filming, it was meant to be a task of the basic practicing of shots, however, as we began filming, we decided it was best to turn the practice moving shots into a small story. From this, I thought it was best for the shot-reverse-shot to be a conversation between a male and a female character having an argument. Using our creativity and knowledge from last year, we were able to make the on-the-spot story run smoothly.


During the course of this, I have learnt many things.



Clapperboard

For the task, I researched how and why clapperboards are used. From the information I found, I learnt that clapperboards are mainly helpful when it comes to the editing process. Using a clapperboard means that when you go back in to edit the footage, you know what type of shot it is and the number of takes, making it easier to find the correct and relevant piece of footage that you are going to use.

Problem Solving

During this task, I found that background noise was a major problem. To eliminate this, we decided that we were going to film the characters diegetic dialogue first whilst it was quiet, and when we were expecting the background noise e.g. cars to create unwanted noise, we decided to film the parts that we knew we were going to put music on in the background during the editing process, so the background noise wouldn't be heard.

Keeping the continuity of the shots wasn't so much a problem, because we were organised and decided to plan our short story before hand. However, what was a problem was time keeping. We needed to make sure that we finished filming the practice task on the same day to ensure that the characters costumers were consistent, like the storyline. If we were to film it on different days, the characters style, costume and overall mise-en-scene would be a lot different, not fitting in with the story line, and makes it confusing for the viewer. But, we were able to finish this on time.

Editing

For the editing process, I used Adobe Premiere. I had only learnt to use this 'on the job', by exploring and making myself familiar with the software. By doing so, I had learnt how to cut shots, add music, add effects, create asynchronous sounds, create transitions such as fade and dissolve, as well as sequencing and creating a timeline.







No comments:

Post a Comment